Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sleeping Habits

Sleep deprivation take two.  Somehow my drafts intertwined and got saved as my final, and then I deleted it.  Tech savvy I am not today.

I find I am either restless and roaming around or sleeping like a cat.  I know sleep is important for regular daily functioning, but it is also important to help reduce fatigue during the day, fighting stress, and avoiding poor meal choices.  I am determined to get myself into a routine and schedule again after the chaos of the holiday season turned my habits upside down.  Here are my strategies for improving my quality of sleep: schedule and routine, exercise, eating right and reading.  (Sounds easy enough, right?)

-Keeping a regular schedule: Going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time each day.  It took me a month or two to get this down-pat, and a month to disrupt it.  I find the simple routine of winding down by a certain time helps, and as much as I hate to admit it, I love a schedule. 

-Exercise: A minimum of 30 minutes per day is said to help you sleep more deeply.  Not to mention 30 minutes a day, each day, gets you into a fantastic routine of exercising!  Fitness and health go hand in hand!

-Proper diet: No caffeine after 2:00 pm.  This should be interesting as I love having a cup of tea at random times. I hate eating large meals at night so the goal is to have dinner no later than 6pm.  Cutting out wine.  As much as I love it, my body does not: alcohol will create a restless sleep.  Snacks at bedtime will now be out as well, thinking I am going to try some fresh citrus squeezed into a glass of water.

-Reading at night: I miss reading. Watching TV seems to make my dreams vivid, erratic and based on what I've watched.  I'm hoping reading a book will quiet my brain and make for more peaceful dreams.

After the crazed time eruption of the month of December -visiting with family that often had opposite schedules- my body was (and still is) out of sorts from cutting back the amount of sleep I got.  Sleep is a major part of my functioning platform.  Without regular patterns I suffer from generalized fatigue, the "crankies," and for the past several days, auras that indicate a migraine.   I'm scheduling enough hours of sleep and aiming for a more productive day!  Be kind to yourself an achieve a healthier you!
When you love yourself, you can take care of yourself.”—Demi Lovato

No comments:

Post a Comment