Thursday, March 15, 2012

Push

My Grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's yesterday.  WHAM...I was broadsided with the reminder that the circle of life continues, no matter how much we wish people wouldn't age.  Alzheimer's is an incredibly amazing disease, seemingly wiping the brain clean as it progresses.  I have a very special bond with this spunky woman, and admire her life, her spirit, and hope someday to accomplish a fraction of what she has done. 

I am only the second generation of American born children on this side of my family.  Mary came here at 16 from Czechoslovakia, once telling me she spoke more German than Slovak due to WWII.  My seemingly fearless Grandma raised 5 children on a dairy farm in rural NE Ohio, and is well known in the community for her baking and cooking skills.  I sat last night, tearful and afraid of this disease that has once again entered my life. 

I can hear her scolding me to get out my rosary and do something about it.  The best gift she ever gave me was unintentional, and she led by example.  No matter what happened, her faith has always been unwavering.  I was distracting myself today on Facebook when my page refreshed and a photo posted said PUSH: Pray until something happens.  Lesson reminded.  Nothing a little faith can't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment