Monday, June 25, 2012

Perspective

Stress.  Overwhelmed.  Too busy.  Near tears.  Aggravated.  Happy Monday?!?!  I strive for positivity, but today I did not get enough sleep...five hours is just NOT. Enough.  I went downstairs to a cheerful husband, drew a deep breath and turned on the coffee pot.  Positive times two.  Diabetic dog seems stable.  Positive times three.  Water inside the bedroom suite on the first floor.  Negative times infinity.  Argh!

I called my best friend to talk me down, and gradually accepted that it's not the end of the world.  With the fantastically crazy weather we've had here the past week, I know I am fortunate.  Many tornadoes have done serious damage here, and my house stands firm (albeit a little squishy in 600 square feet).  Ahh my perspective lesson!!!!  It is what we make of it.  Choose to be positive.  I'll be decked out with floaties today.

I was able to lighten up my heavy heart by realizing I have a structurally sound home.  Power.  Internet.  A phone to call my bestest.  Parents who are married after 38 years.  A beautiful mother turning sixty, and a plan to have dinner, cake and ice cream tonight.  Friends who have reached out and taken the time to share over FORTY memories and well wishes for her.  I was able to joke with my "chosen mom" about needing my previously mentioned floaties and a plastic liner for my indoor pool.  (I seriously am blessed to have the most awesome in-laws).  My sister volunteered to assist with errands and last minute stuff -even after she works a long day and drives through rainy weather- to help me accomplish what I need for this afternoon's pool party.  Okay, I'll stop.  It's a birthday party.

When life is full-tilt boogie, and you find yourself overwhelmed.  Stop.  QUIT what you are doing and breathe.  Think of the things that are absolutely wonderful in your life.  You will find that the blessings will start to overflow.  (These water puns are just too easy...)  Life is short, and it is only what we make of it.  Embrace the good in all situations.  Because when it comes down to the things that truly matter, it is those we are surrounded with that make life worth living - not the things surrounding us.

No comments:

Post a Comment