Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Kale & Beet Salad


I've posted previously about the awesomeness of beets.  They are great additions to several types cooking methods. Roasted, pureed, steamed—you name it. But in my opinion, nothing is better than a simple salad of raw shredded beets and kale - it is tangy, sweet and full of texture!  The balsamic vinegar brings out their natural sweetness while keeping the beets raw preserves their vibrant color and nutrients.

The Ingredients:
4 medium red beets peeled and shredded (or in my case chopped)
3 cups (packed) thinly sliced kale leaves (stems removed and discarded)
1 medium shallot, finely chopped (I used onion because it's what I had)
1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon granulated garlic powder (I used that plus garlic chives)
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste

In a large mixing bowl, toss together beets, kale, and shallot. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and granulated garlic powder. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.  I prefer to chill mine in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes then allow the salad to stand at room temperature shortly before serving.

Try different types of kale in this recipe to find your favorite. I like lacinato kale the best for its flatter texture, but curly or red kale will also work.  I used chiogga beets (candy cane beets) because they are so yummy, don't stain and are gorgeous in the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment