Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Just Breathe



I went to the dentist yesterday.  I hate sitting in that chair, knowing the extremely nice people are there to help me.  I still have a major dislike of having somebody drilling into my skull.  I felt stifled, panicked and flight response was peaked at maximum rate.  So I concentrated on my breathing. Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Sometimes that's all you can do: one moment, then the next.

Consciously breathe.  It will change your life.  When you are stressed, overwhelmed and find your tension is strung so tight it may shatter, breathe.  If life happens and you're in a whirlwind of emotion or you find you are worried about something, breathe.  It will help to center you in the moment. 

Close your eyes.  Breathe deeply.  In for ten seconds, then out for ten.  Again.  Whether you are discouraged or lost, overwhelmed or too hectic: breathe.  Focus.  Concentrate on what needs to be done in this moment.  It will slow you down and bring you back into this moment and be present for those around you.

My favorite time to consciously breathe is when I run.  I am grounded with deep breaths, focused and certain with my steps.  I am certain if I was more aware of holding my breath in stressful events they would be lessened instantly.  If I was to stop, close my eyes and breathe, I would experience a clarity and calm purpose instead of zinging around and freaking out.

Enjoy each moment.  Even the ones that are less than wonderful, because each day isn't a bad day.  We must experience grief to understand and savor joy.  Center yourself with life's breath and be active in your life - this is no dress rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment