Thursday, June 21, 2012

Try & Believe

Yesterday I felt my positive attitude not just slipping, but quite frankly it felt mowed down by 10 am. Faced with some not-so-great news of family, an ailing senior diabetic dog and normal every day life I was on the brink of tears. I felt myself sliding into an old pattern of sadness and wishing I could crawl into bed and hide. Until I remembered something that my aunt said to me just recently: we can always choose to live with a happy heart. Sometimes life sucks, but try to keep many happy thoughts to substitute for the sad ones.

So I dug deep and put on my silly hat. I told awful jokes, sought out funny stuff and attempted to lighten up my day. Strangely enough, it worked. Posting nerd alert photos, revising nursery rhymes after duking it out with one snarky and rather large spider, texting silly stuff to my sister and focusing on my mom's 60th birthday project boosted my spirits better than any anti-depressant could have. I even went for a run in the rain.

My mom told me once that she was having a sad day. As I frowned and felt my heart pang with sympathy, she chided me gently and said that she was thankful for it. When my frown turned to complete puzzlement, she shared her wisdom with me: I know that not every day is like this, and it reminds me to be truly joyful when life is good.


The only thing that stands between a person and what they want in life is the will to try it and the faith to believe it is possible.
― Rich DeVos

Though I cannot prevent life from happening and dishing out the bad along with the good, I can have faith and keep trying to achieve my goals. Never quit. I hope you find strength to dig deep within, pull out a silly hat to get you through the bad days and try with every ounce of oomph you have.


Never. Ever. Give up.


No comments:

Post a Comment