Monday, March 4, 2013

Brew Better


After making a few phone calls, my elderberry tea is not looking to appear magically into my teacup.  So I am applying what I've learned with what I have on hand since the OTC medications make me feel like ick. 

Ingredients:
1 quart hot water
2 bags of organic jasmine green tea
6 slices fresh ginger
3 slices fresh turmeric
1 lemon wedge - juiced
1 tablespoon local honey
1 teaspoon (or so) organic cayenne pepper

Add all ingredients and allow to steep.  When tea is finished, chew on ginger wedges and turmeric slices for additional relief - these are better than cough drops.

Why did I choose these particular ingredients?  Jasmine green tea has aromatherapy benefits due to the jasmine - not that I can smell well at the moment - and it also has a calming and soothing effect despite the caffeine.  If I am battling a bacterial infection, it contains antibacterial properties as well. 

Ginger clears the microcirculatory channels of the body - including sinuses -  and acts as anti-inflammatory which will help the body aches.  It also acts as a natural throat and nose decongestant.  Ginger is one of my favorite every day additions to green tea for a little extra zing to the taste.

Fresh turmeric also contains anti-inflammatory agents, but is also a natural pain killer.  Lemon gives a nice scent, a dose of vitamin C and also acts as a detox agent. I love the taste of fresh turmeric and since it is extremely odoriferous, I can actually smell some of what I am drinking despite the congestion. 

Cayenne has warming properties to combat the cold chills.  I've used it regularly for nearly two years as an addition to food and in my lemonade for a detox agent.  Cayenne also has anti-irritant properties that eases sore throats and spasmodic coughs - both of which came full swing today.  It is also thought to relieve allergies - any relief from orange blossom pollens would be a bonus for me.

Local honey.  Organic raw honey is an energy booster, helps muscle fatigue and soothes sore throats. It has long been recognized that local honey relieves symptoms of pollen related allergies since bees collect pollens from the very plants that cause my sniffles and sneezing.

Brew better health naturally - two cups of this and I'm feeling an improvement.  Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment