Tuesday, February 7, 2012

No acreage required.


I overslept, spent too long in the shower, but still made Shakeology and sent it with the hubby as he left for work.  And so I started my day.  Charlie Rojo, the insolent but handsome rooster is back with his ladies fair for the morning...he gets to sleep in the garage as he crows, non-stop, starting every morning about 4:02 am.  My sassy rescued rooster and I don't see eye to eye on this, but to avoid the soup pot, I grab him each morning and in he goes.  That is to the garage, not the soup pot.  I'm about to head out to watch a lovely chorus group of kitties for a good friend, then it's off to the market.  A new place that is locally owned has some amazing deals on meat each week. 

I have a feeling I'll be off in search of a small chest freezer soon after discovering this new store and the anticipated abundance from my garden.  I planted and transplanted for six hours yesterday.  In addition to our epic tomato plants, I added a few heirloom lettuces, arugula, and then millet for the chickens.  I transplanted garlic chives, am attempting coriander, two varieties of basil, some dwarf french beans (also heirloom) and a "surprise" patch.  I'm SO curious to see what the goodies will be...it was a seed packet meant for kids.  I doubt they meant for a 32 year-old kid at heart to be curious and try it for herself.

With the assistance of my amazing mom, forty-three tomato seedlings were lovingly placed into biodegradable dixie cups with hopes of finding someone who loves heirlooms as much as we do.  Seventeen volunteer sunflowers were placed around my gardens, as were several butterfly "weed" plants.  A monarch fluttered about the patch of those lovely plants in the main veggie garden, presumably laying her eggs on the protective underside of the leaves.  There's just something about butterflies that evokes a peaceful feeling.

At the end of the afternoon, I stood and marveled at the idea of raising my own food on such a small plot of land.  Strawberries are coming on, and more plants will arrive from my neighbor soon - he promises the plants somehow withstand the heat here.  Add fresh eggs from my four hens, veggies from the garden, figs from the tree my mom started from a cut of her own tree, I have the beginning of sustainability.  All on my double lot...no acreage required.

No comments:

Post a Comment