Friday, February 3, 2012

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Meditating while the world crashes about is about impossible.  J.D. dog paces on wood floors and whines, Charlie Rojo (pronounced ro-ho) the rooster crows non-stop, dogs bark across the canal, some insane bird shrieks on the other side of the house.  I struggled, to say the least.  My mind wanders like an autumn leaf caught on a breeze.  My sister and I both joke that we are like squirrels who spy something shiny and get distracted quite easily.  Sadly it is so true!  My brain just doesn't seem to quiet down, the circles and tangents it takes is amazing to me and amusing to those in my life. 

After an attempt and not so successful result with meditation, I revisited my "how to" notes.
  • Quiet please!  (This is where my challenge was today).  Find somewhere that you can sit in silence for 15 minutes.  And sit without slouching.
  • Breathe slowly and deeply - inhale from the nose and exhale through the mouth..8 counts in, 10 counts out to start.  
  • Be aware.  Focus attention on breathing.  When your mind wanders gently refocus on your breathing again.  If nothing else, I got some good breathing in.
  • End the session.  Open your eyes, stand up and stretch.
Assessment: invest in some ear plugs and try again!  All kidding aside, it is important to have time to clear your mind to bring focus and clarity for the day.  My attempt at visualizing favorite place was successful at least.  I pictured myself sitting outside of a cabin in the Tennessee mountains on the porch swing.  Imagined the smell of damp leaves in the fall.  Silence surrounding except the crisp autumn wind whispering through the trees.  I find visualizing, really putting myself somewhere peaceful helps me to just be, to breathe.  Try hard to remember to take time for yourself.  Time to relax, just be, just breathe.




No comments:

Post a Comment